From Fear to Freedom
A Three Week Intensive OCD Recovery Program
Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder knows no age or class distinctions. In fact, many people with high intellectual development and great achievements suffer from OCD.
OCD enslaves its victims, enmeshing them in a stifling web of intrusive thoughts and urges. There are various methods and protocols to break this vicious circle.
Last Resort Program
From Fear to Freedom integrates two of the best approaches to OCD treatment:
- Prologned Exposure and Response Prevention Protocol developed by Edna Foa, PhD, author of Stop Obsessing!
- Four-Step Method developed by Jeffrey M. Schwartz, MD, author of Brain Lock
From Fear to Freedom is an intensive program. For three weeks you will dedicate all your energy, willpower, attentiveness, and trust to achieving freedom from obsessions and compulsions. If you come ready to abolish the OCD, your medical team will be ready to work with you.
The program is individually tailored to your specific needs and conditions. You work one-on-one with a highly trained therapist who will guide you and--when necessary--drag you through every step of the process. You will be treated, monitored, and taught by a highly motivated and trained team of experts in psychopharmacology, psychiatry, and cognitive behavioral therapy.
The Four Steps
- Step 1: Relabel
- Recognize the intrusive thoughts and urges as due to OCD.
- Step 2: Reattribute
- Realize that the intensity and intrusiveness of the thought
or urge is caused by OCD; it is probably due to a biochemical
imbalance in the brain. Remember, "it's not me, it's the OCD."
- Step 3: Refocus
- Work around the OCD thoughts by focussing attention on something
else, at least for a few minutes. Do not give in to a compulsion.
- Step 4: Revalue
- Do not take the OCD thought at face value. It is not significant in itself
- More about the Four Steps...
Prolonged Exposure and Response Prevention Therapy
As we train you to identify OCD-related behavior, exposure and response prevention is designed to break up the maladaptive associations between anxiety, obsessions, and the performance of compulsions in an attempt to get relief from the anxiety.
- We teach you to stay in an OCD situation until discomfort decreases.
- We help you concentrate on targeted situations and guide you through each and every one of them.
- We repeat the exposures daily using stimuli specifically prepared for you until your distress significantly dissipates.
- We increase your mindful awareness by training you to self-monitor and record your rituals.
Three Weeks... Three Essential Components
- Evaluation, using scientifically validated rating scales, including the Yale-Brown Obsessive Compulsive Scale (YBOCS) and other clinical tools
- Information Gathering
Relapse Prevention Program
- Exposure and Response Prevention
- Four Step Work
Developed Exclusively for the Westwood Institute by
Eda Gorbis, PhD, MFCC
Read more about Dr. Gorbis...
Announcements & Upcoming Events
Dr. Gorbis' interview on Body Dysmorphic Disorder now available to watch at psychotherapy.net!
Dr. Gorbis talks about Body Dysmorphic order, its successful treatment methods, and resources for therapists. Watch it now at http://www.psychotherapy.net/interview/eda-gorbis-body-dysmorphic.
New Partial Intensive Outpatient Program to Launch Soon
We will soon launch a new Partial Intensive Outpatient program. It will be based on the same treatment methods as the Intensive Outpatient program. Please contact us or call our office at (310) 443-0031 for more information
Watch the Full Episode of MTV True Life Series "I Hate My Face" featuring Dr. Eda Gorbis